Sunday, February 8, 2015



Hey Everyone! Welcome Back!

To My First Trimester Mommies: Be Happy! You're a Mommy-to-be!

This is going to be one of the most rewarding and wonderful journeys of your life. I was so excited after Kyle and I visited the doctor for the first time. My doctor was amazing and walked me through everything could happen as my pregnancy progressed and, most importantly, was very calming and reassuring that everything was going to be okay. I promise that if you listen to your doctors and adhere to their directions they will not lead you astray, but I can guarantee that it won't be easy.

My doctor told me no citrus, coffee, sausage, spinach, certain herbal teas, stay away from spicy foods, refrain from eating fast food and so on and so forth. While I was listening to her telling me what NOT eat I thought to myself. "Okay...so what can I eat?" After she finished her list I asked her my question and she said "Eat as healthy as possible. Just stay away from the foods that I told you to stay away from." "Okay. Done deal." I replied.

Tips and Tricks: Have a Good Support System of friends, family and books.

On our way home I started thinking about what I needed to do to prepare. I was told by my older sister and my sister-in-law to get the book called "What to Expect When You're Expecting." They told me to buy the most recent edition of the book. I also coupled that with www.parents.com and it was a deadly combination of knowledge. It answered all sorts of questions that I had. I called my doctor a few times if I still had a few questions following that but it kept my mind at ease and kept me calm. Pick up a copy of the book and ask your doctor questions. That's what they are there for.

To My Second Trimester Mommies: "UGH! My favorite shirt is too small! My favorite jeans don't fit!!

I know, for me it was INCREDIBLY frustrating. Considering that I had just gone to the mall and revamped my ENTIRE wardrobe 6 weeks previous. Let's just say it was not cheap and most of all not fair. My mother kept reassuring me "It will all be worth it in the end." At that point I didn't quite see it. I had just gotten back down to my high school weight of 150 pounds, was toned and muscular, and had the flat stomach that I always wanted. But as I read it is good to be in shape when you are pregnant. Means you can stay active to a degree to keep from having the baby fat pile on. If you are like me and love to stay active- discuss a workout plan with your ob/gyn. They will be able to give some great pointers.

Tips and Tricks:

Anyway, needless to say I had to revamp my closet again at this point. While I was looking for a great place to get clothes that were still stylish and also work appropriate I went to the Outlet Mall in North Bend and came across Motherhood Maternity. Best selection of clothes, body pillows, dresses, bathing suites and nursing bras ever. If you are a shopper add this store to your arsenal of stores to go to. There are tons of Motherhood Maternity across the nation. They are decently priced and the staff will dedicate their time to you so you understand what and why you need to buy certain items and still help you maintain your confidence with your ever growing belly.


To My Third Trimester Mommies: "Sleeping is a Witch!"

One of the biggest things that I had issues with in my third trimester was finding a comfortable position while sitting, standing and laying. The biggest issue was getting to sleep. I asked my doctor about some remedies and this is what she suggested:

1. Chamomile Tea- to calm the mind and make me sleepy
2. Walk a couple laps until you start feeling slight contractions.
3. Or taking a sleep aid - she suggested Tylenol PM to be the safest. But please consult your doctor first before you try this one please.
4. Listen to calm music or a book.
5. Have your significant other rub the middle of your back in slow circles while you close your eyes and lay on your side with a pillow between your knees and one to support your belly.

I found the combination of numbers 2, 4 and 5 to be affective. Walk until you feel tired and slight contractions, push play on your radio, ipod or any other listening device of your choice, get comfortable in bed with your pillows and have your partner rub your back. Soon after you'll fall asleep.


To My Delivered Mommies: Bilirubin Blues

When Elizabeth Denise was born Kyle and I found out that our daughter had a count of 11.9 of bilirubin. Bilirubin causes jaundice (Where the baby looks orange or yellow on the skin and whites of the eyes) She was what the doctors called an intermediate high risk case. They also told me that it may take Lizzy a few weeks longer to get back to normal due to a blood incompatibility. Her white blood cells were devouring the red blood cells in an effort to purge her body of my blood type. She had inherited her daddy's A positive while I was an O positive. Also called and ABO incompatibility.

The pediatrician came in and told us that they were going to use a phototherapy method to treat her but she would be just fine and not to worry. She was in the NICU for two and a half days, hooked up to a heart monitor with a little mask on to protect her eyes from the UV treatment she was receiving and I had very little bonding time with her. It was tough on me. Being in the hospital for four days, worried about my daughter. I wasn't sleeping very well and my hormones were WAY out of wack. Mix that all together and you get a husband and wife with high emotions and very sensitive to what is said to the other. Needless to say we had a few tiffs. But that is to be expected with new parents.

Tips and Tricks:

1. SLEEP! While you are in the hospital it will help you emotionally and keep your claws retracted.
2. Eat. Either order something from the hospital cafeteria or have family and friends bring you something to eat when they come and see you at the hospital.
3. Remember your partner loves you and is just as equally worried about you and the baby and just want to make sure your okay and happy.
4. Walk the halls of the hospital. DO NOT stay in the hospital room. Don't make yourself go stir crazy.


Thank you for revisiting. If you have any questions or comments that you would like to share please post it or shoot me an email at ferguson.sabrina15@gmail.com and I will be more than happy to respond. Thanks again. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment